First, Meet Dr. Kelly Starrett
Source: CBS 60 Minutes Sports
Questions that Kelly Answers in this Episode
- What does it mean to “Become a Supple Leopard“?
- JULIA: I have a desk job and my husband is police officer. What are we supposed to do? What tips do you have for people who get up, drive to work, work, drive home and sit?
- PHILIP: I have a full time office job and I am a distance runner. Isn’t my activity level enough to balance out the sitting?
- JAKE: We now hear that “sitting is the new smoking.” Are we supposed to stand all day?
- SARAH: I hear mixed reviews on barefoot shoes. What’s your take on minimalist or barefoot shows for every day use and/or running?
- ELLA: What functional movements should every BODY at every age be able to do?
- JAMES: I fly a lot – at least 8x a month, and I’m not a superfit guy. I am not at all flexible. What tips do you have for me before, during and after plane travel?
- ELLA: What can people do to “perform basic maintenance” on themselves?
Resources Mentioned on the Show:
- Here’s the NuNaturals Stevia that I use from Amazon
- Soylent – yuck.
- Kelly’s “Couch Stretch” video (tip: start at minute 2:20)
- Gut smashing! Watch the video here
- Kelly’s tips for “the executive athlete” – watch this video:
- And for more videos, check out Mobility WOD’s YouTube Channel – LOADS of free content to hep you!
Kelly’s “ONE HABIT” to try for a week: no technology in the bedroom!
Kelly’s “ONE RESOURCE” that he recommends to us: The Roll Model by Jill Miller
Want to become a supple leopard, too?
Check out Kelly’s incredibly instructive books:
About Dr. Kelly Starrett
Kelly Starrett is a coach, physical therapist, author, speaker, and creator of the Mobility WOD blog, which has revolutionized how athletes think about human movement and athletic performance. His blog is featured in Tim Ferris’ The 4-Hour Body, Inside Triathlon, Outside Magazine, Details Magazine, Power Magazine, and the Crossfit Journal. He teaches the wildly popular Crossfit Movement & Mobility Trainer course and has been a guest lecturer at the American Physical Therapy Association annual convention, Google, the Perform Better Summit, the Special Operations Medical Association annual conference, police departments, and elite military groups nationwide.
His book, Becoming a Supple Leopard 2nd Edition: The Ultimate Guide to Resolving Pain, Preventing Injury, and Optimizing Athletic Performance has become a New York Times and Wall Street Journal bestseller. Coach Kelly Starrett received his Doctor of Physical Therapy, and before starting his own physical therapy practice at San Francisco CrossFit, one of the original 30 CrossFit affiliates, he practiced performance-based physical therapy at the world-renowned Stone Clinic. In his current practice, Kelly works with Olympic gold-medalists, Tour de France cyclists, NFL players, world and national record holding Olympic Lifting and Power athletes, Crossfit Games medalists, ballet dancers, military personnel, and competitive age-division athletes.
Kelly’s background as an athlete and coach includes paddling whitewater slalom canoe on the US Canoe and Kayak Teams, and leading the Men’s Whitewater Rafting Team to two national titles and competition in two World Championships. Learn more at Mobility WOD.
If you liked this episode, you’ll want to check out:
Episode 010 – Evan Brand on Manning Up, Eating Right
Episode 036 – Ben Greenfield on Increasing Testosterone