the GOOD, the BAD & the YUMMY
This is a weekly feature where I share one thing that I’m loving, one thing I’m not, and one simple, SUPER easy, clean-eating recipe.
- Thank you, Patreon supporters! Your contributions are helping the show grow!
- Sometimes I get discounts and promo codes from brands that I love. I can now share those with you RIGHT HERE
- Want some free motivation? Find the podcast in Spotify and listen to my Spotify playlist GET UP & MOVE
- Are you in New York, Wednesday, October 11, 2017? Because I am!
the GOOD: Kelp Noodles and Coconut Aminos
Coconut aminos is a dark, rich, and salty soy-free sauce containing 17 amino acids and no MSG or GMOs. It is made simply from raw coconut tree sap and sun-dried sea salt. It’s a great substitute for soy sauce, and I use it in stir fry, on pretty much ANY veggie (cauliflower rice, squash, you name it) and in salad dressings and marinades.
- Kelp noodles are made of mineral-rich sea kelp (seaweed!). They have a neutral taste to allow for a variety of uses including salads, stir-fries, hot broths, and casseroles. Kelp noodles provides a rich source of trace minerals including iodine. Just rinse and stir fry or add to a salad.
the Bad: Cell Phones ON Your Body
- Most of us experience ongoing cell phone radiation exposure for many minutes per day. I did an entire episode on this issue and it is a MUST listen. Keeping your cell phone on your body is significantly adding to your exposure. We’re not going to stop using them, but that doesn’t mean we can’t be smart about HOW we use them.
- Did you know? The body’s absorption of cell phone signals falls off dramatically with distance. A phone held a couple of inches from the body delivers hundreds of times less radiation to the body as one held against the skin.
- Simple Tips:
- Don’t hold your phone next to your ear – use the speaker or an airtube headset – I like these – (even the Center for Disease Control (CDC) admits that it’s helpful to reduce radio frequency radiation near your head fowling these tips)
- Don’t sleep with your phone in the bed (!!) or on a nightstand next to your bed. If you do, put it on airplane mode (the alarm will still work)
- Don’t keep your phone on and in your pocket. If it can kill sperm, who knows what else it’s doing?
- For the love of all things good, bad & yummy, keep your cell phone out of your jog bra!
- Wait for a better signal. The weaker the signal, the stronger the signal the cell phone puts out. And the stronger the signal, the greater the amount of radiation that’s being delivered to your body. Stick to a landline (remember those?) or use the speakerphone or a headset when the signal is weak.
- Switch sides. Any negative effects from cell phone radiation are likely related to the “dose” of radiation to your brain. To limit any possible harm to your brain, alternate holding your phone to your right side and your left (being sure to hold it some distance away) to reduce exposure time per side.
- Wait for the other party. Cell phones put out more radiation at the beginning of a call as the connection is being established, so wait until the other party picks up before holding a cell phone closer to talk.
- Rethink the kids. Do your kids need minutes, even hours, a day on the phone? (Did you?) Because their skulls are thinner and their brains are growing quickly, cell phone radiation is likely to be more dangerous for kids. Use a land line, text, or use the speakerphone function or an earpiece – anything to keep cell phones away from their heads.
the YUMMY: Paleo Pumpkin Bake
Get the ingredients:
From my pantry to yours… shop bobsredmill.com and enter my promo code at checkout to save 25% off your entire order! They offer a huge range of products that cater to specific dietary restrictions like gluten-free, paleo, and vegan. Its gluten free products – from oats to flours and meals – are all processed in a 100% gluten-free facility to ensure zero cross-contamination making them safe for those with Celiac Disease. So, start shopping now from anywhere in the world and give some love to this partner of the show!