This Week’s the GOOD, the BAD, the YUMMY!
This is a weekly feature where I share one thing that I’m loving, one thing I’m not, and one simple, SUPER easy, clean-eating recipe. The conversation continues on social…join me on Facebook and Instagram.
the GOOD: Thermography
- What is thermography?
- How does it work?
- The episode on breast health that you need to hear (and with lots of helpful links)
- Is there a link between root canals and breast cancer?
the BAD: Sucralose…aka Splenda
- “Splenda” is the commercial name used for sucralose. The manufacturers advertise Splenda as being more “natural” than other sweeteners because the main substance, sucralose, comes from sugar. This is misleading, and potentially harmful.
- To put it simply splenda is chlorinated sugar (chlorocarbon), and it accumulates in the body over time. Infrequent consumption is likely not cause for harm, but consistent consumption can create everything from headaches to weight gain….and, according some some studies, cancer. Other effects include:
- intestinal cramping
- rashes and acne
- chest pain
- gum bleeding
- A 2008 Duke University study found that Splenda alters the intestine flora as it destroys beneficial bacteria.
- Want more info? Here’s a Complete Guide to Artificial Sweeteners
- The Mayo Clinic has this to say about artificial sweeteners
- FYI, Splenda is WONDERFUL as an ant killer! #sweetsweetpesticide
- What’s a better choice for sweetener? Stevia, honey, coconut nectar, coconut sugar, monkfruit….the list goes on!
the YUMMY: Grilled Romaine Hearts
What you need:
- Organic romaine hearts
- Coconut or Avocado Oil (any high heat healthy oil will work)
- Himalayan or sea salt & cracked pepper
- Seasonings that you like! (e.g. red pepper flakes, oregano, thyme….anything!)
- Wash the romaine hearts and pat dry
- Slice lengthwise (optional, can grill whole)
- Coat in oil and herbs/spices
- Grill 1-2 minutes, flip if helpful
What do you think about this week’s choices? Please share your feedback with me.
And, if you’d like to learn more about how some of the links above help support the show, read this.