The Least Understood Epidemic?
The world of chronic Lyme disease is full of controversy, and that controversy is hurting those who may be suffering from it. Dr. Wiggy is back to explain the two schools of thinking on Lyme, and why it might matter to many of us.
Early signs and symptoms of Lyme disease may include:
- the characteristic “bulls-eye” rash that spreads from the site of the bite
- the “summer flu” – fever, chills, headache
- muscle and joint aches
- swollen lymph nodes
If left untreated, Lyme disease may progress to cause:
- Intermittent muscle and joint pain
- Neck stiffness and severe headaches (meningitis)
- Facial weakness and paralysis (Bell’s palsy)
- Weakness and pain in the arms and legs
- Intermittent arthritis with joint pain and swelling, especially in larger joints like the knees
- Spells of dizziness or being short of breath
- Shooting pains, numbness or tingling in the hands or feet
- Memory loss, difficulty concentrating, and changes in sleep patterns [Source]
What We Talk About:
- What is Lyme? Acute vs chronic and why the distinction is the controversy.
- How do you know if it is Lyme?
- How do you test for it? Types of tests and the flaws in each.
- Western blot, NKCD57, DNA connexions test
- Why Lyme is known as “the great mimicker”
- How we address it – from natural means to pharmaceuticals
- Why there’s tension between traditional medicine and the integrative view
- Why is Lyme so seemingly prolific now?
- Common misconceptions about symptoms and treatments
- The Horowitz questionnaire for determining if it might be Lyme
- Great testimonial on treating Lyme with the Paleo Diet, and this extremely compelling story of one man’s journey in Australia
- Read this excerpt from the book, Freedom from Lyme Disease for more on nutrition
- Another powerful testimonial from someone recovering from Lyme – and how
- Tim Ferriss talks about his own journey of recovery and how the ketogenic diet and other protocols worked for him in this episode of Bulletproof Radio and this one with Ben Greenfield
- Check out these books from Dr. Horotwitz
Want More Dr. Wiggy?
ANNOUNCEMENT: Come Meet Me!
I am going to be bouncing around a bit in the coming weeks. I want to know if you are anywhere near these places as I arrange official On Air with Ella meet ups!
London, UK February 28 (early evening)
New York, NY March 10 (morning)
Los Angeles, CA March 24 (midday)
Reply here with interest to will help me determine the potential for a meet up. Stay tuned to the podcast for more info!