Posts Tagged with: Energy and Performance
Maryam Aziz is a bad a$$ who wants to empower YOU.
This show is a departure from our normal themes, but it’s an important one. To me, wellness also includes taking preventative action to make sure that you’re being smart, staying safe and avoiding harm. To that end, I reached out to Chief Self-Defense Instructor for W.I.S.E., Maryam Aziz, to ask her how we can avoid putting ourselves at risk and what to do if we find ourselves in a threatening situation.
This show is for sharing. Please send this link to your pals and loved ones. You never know when this information might truly serve someone.
What We Discuss
- Key tips to AVOID trouble and minimize our risk of harm
- How so much of avoiding trouble is about being alert (tip: if you’re walking and looking at your phone, you’re not being alert)
- The many new safety apps you can have at the ready on your phone (see a list below)
- Taking an Uber or taxi? Listen to the simple tip we share for staying safe
- How to PAY ATTENTION TO YOUR GUT INSTINCT. You have it for a reason.
- What should you do in the face of trouble..at home? in a parking garage? while exercising?
- Protecting yourself when dating and/or meeting new people
- The drink order that is a cry for help (in some places)
- What you should NOT do if you are attacked and what can you do to effectively resist harm
Maryam Aziz is currently a Ph.D. Candidate in the Department of American Culture at the University of Michigan. Her research constructs a social and cultural movement history of martial arts practice during the mid to late 20th century. Maryam is a 2nd Degree Black Belt in Goju Ryu Karatedo and is an anti-hate crime martial arts/self-defense instructor. She is the chief self defense instructor for the International Muslim Women’s Initiative for Self-Empowerment (I’M W.I.S.E.). She teaches classes throughout the continental United States and she is currently developing a curriculum to help community organizations safely teach self-defense to communities affected by hate crimes.
Connect with me
Muscle Testing: Voodoo or Constructive Biofeedback?
You know I’m on a mission to uncover every possible way we can pursue wellness and then to share what I learn with you, right? So when Kristi Acuna (episode 107) mentioned using muscle testing recently as a means of diagnosing nutritional and digestive issues, I was intrigued. I reached out to my pal and renowned chiropractor Dr. Jason Piken of Innate Chiropractic of Manhattan and asked him ALL THE QUESTIONS about this modality which is utterly new to me!
Dr. Piken is a Certified Nutritional Specialist and Doctor of Chiropractor. His specialty is finding the correct blend of foods, lifestyle changes and nutritional support needed to help his patients to achieve their health goals. Dr. Piken has seen 1000s of patients with digestive issues, chronic pain, anxiety, sugar metabolism and autoimmune conditions, and he is explaining to us how manual muscle testing and applied kinesiology helps him help YOU.
See for Yourself
Dr. Piken shares all kinds of videos on his Facebook page, and here are 2 instructional videos that give you an idea of muscle testing:
Connect with Dr. Jason Piken
Innate Chiropractic of Manhattan
119 West 57th street suite 712
New York NY 10019
Connect with me
Can technology contribute to our wellness?
Josh Trent and I go deep into a variety of protocols that I’ve never discussed on the show before. Some of the things we cover:
- Josh’s story of transformation (and his journey continues)
- How to use technology as a “dashboard” for healthy living, especially for sleep, nutrition, hydration, and movement
- Why he considers wellness technology a “mirror of mindfulness” for emotional and physical habits
- The Muse headband for meditation. See a variety of options here.
- Fitbit trackers and how to best use them
- How wellness technology can help men and women beat decision-making fatigue
- Why intention and emotional intelligence beat any technology or device
- Neurofeedback – more to come soon on my visit to the Peak Brain Institute
- Meditation – Josh went on a 10-day retreat of silence. Learn more about Vipassana Meditation
- Holotropic Breathing – cleansing and clearing through intense breathing exercises
- Ayahuasca– plant medicine used in healing ceremonies; learn more about this controversial, ancient-now-trendy ceremony
- Click Here to Download the Life Balance Wheel Worksheet
- Here’s the article on fitness trackers, tech wearables and their EMF risks, and another view from an article in the NY Times “Wearable Tech as Dangerous as Cigarettes?” [Spoiler alert: no]
- Josh is giving my listeners a two-week free trial with the Nudge Coaching App – connect to your fitness tracker and get tracking!
Connect with Josh
Josh Trent is a podcast host, wellness coach, and founder of www.wellnessforce.com. By drawing from wellness technology as part of an integrative life practice, and with over 12 years in the health and wellness industry, his vision is to empower greater wellness in over one million lives through technology and emotion. From now until March 14, 2017 Josh is giving away more than $2000 in goodies to his listeners. Join in the fun here.