Posts Tagged with: Fitness
Welcome to a New Season!
This episode is all about where I’ve been, why I’ve been avoiding you (!!), and where we are going together…
But, before we talk, download this worksheet right here: Life Balance Wheel Worksheet
- Download/print your worksheet
- Fill it out for where you are TODAY (not where you want to be…yet)
- Share with me where you are: what are you “high” in, where are you “low?”…what are your biggest struggles? You can answer this 3 question survey – it’s easier than email!
I can’t wait to talk through each of these segments with you. We’ll hear from guests on some, just you and me on others….send your input in so I can design around what YOU need. I can’t wait!!!
PS – if you want this emailed to you, jump on the mailing list!
Is Moderation Possible?
Ok, I struggle with this, I really do. To me, abstinence from some foods does seem so much easier than moderating my intake – especially with trigger foods like sugar, nut butters and other items on my list. But, sometimes my “food rules” send me spiraling into what today’s guest calls the “What the Hell” effect. For me, it looks something like this:
- I’m hungry or I want something to eat (there’s a difference!)
- I can’t eat that, because it’s not on my ‘good’ list
- I’ll eat this, this and this instead.
- Dammit, I still want that.
- I eat that.
- I’m terrible. What a failure. I think I’ll eat something since I’m already a total loss.
Have you ever been there? Jill Coleman has, and today she’s telling us how she got off the merry-go-round of deprivation, food rules, cravings, binges and all the noise and found a place of balance.
What We Talk About:
- Offensive strategies to prevent binge eating
- The critical role of mindfulness in eating — and why we avoid it
- Exposure Therapy – how not restricting might eventually lead to not needing to
- Moderation is a concept that I struggle with. Jill used to, but not any more….how Jill moved from deprivation and binge eating to moderation 365 days a year (and looks and feels consistently amazing)
- The dangers of the “what the hell” effect
- The power of the PAUSE
- Where to start with exposure therapy and moderation
- Leveraging the power of DNCs (Daily Nutritional Commitments) that are:
- Effective for your goals
Jill’s best blogs/tips, including:
- 5 TOOLS TO TEACH YOURSELF HOW TO STOP AT A FEW BITES
- SIMPLIFYING MINDFULNESS: HOW TO ACTUALLY DO IT (EVEN THOUGH YOU DON’T WANT TO)
- DO YOU HAVE FOOD FOMO?
- INTERMITTENT SAMPLING: HOW TO TASTE EVERYTHING & BINGE ON NOTHING
It was in 2011, 6 months after starting JillFit.com that I finally had the courage to try a new, more moderate way of doing things. I stopped the incessant food prep and obsession. I quit the relentless meal plan following. I started looking inward and trusting myself more. I started listening to my body more. I stopped following coaches and experts. And I finally had the courage to break the yo-yo cycle. The answer for me was in the gray. No more negative self-talk. No more all-or-nothing eating. No more hard & fast rules.
The outcome was not only effective, but completely liberating. And now it is my mission and my passion to teach other women how to break that cycle. To start fully owning their process. To start working on their mind game so that they can create a life they love. This includes all aspects: mindset, physique and even business.
Since 2012, JillFit has morphed into a lifestyle company helping women become freer, smarter, happier and more effective. And to me, that’s everything.
What are YOUR Daily Nutritional Commitments?
Let me know in the comments!
Did you know that there are two 100% FREE ways to support the show?
1) Share the show with someone you love 🙂
2) Shop Amazon normally, but enter through this link: http://onairwithella.com/store/. You can read this important detail to find out how this supports the show at no cost to you. If you bookmark that link, that makes it super easy. Of course, if you’d like my custom recommendations, shop the Amazon store that I created just for you.
The Time I Turned the Mic Around
Many moons ago, I issued a challenge: will you interview me? Long-time listener Gigi accepted. Listen to her ask me the questions that she compiled from you, plus some surprises that she threw in [spoiler alert: she made me cry]. We get a little silly, a little emotional, and, as always, we have a lot of fun.
What We Talk About
- How do I eat “mostly-vegetarian paleo-ish?”
- What is my story? What successes and failures led me to where I am right now?
- Which episodes from 2015 are the most impactful for me?
- What makes me tear up? Every. Time.
- What do I value?
- What is my general philosophy on food, fitness and mindset?
Here are some of the episodes that we reference – go back and take another listen!
- 001 with Joe Cross – on juicing, eating right
- 007 with Dr. Jillian Teta – gut health
- 011 with Elizabeth Benton – fat loss
- 012 with Vani Hari, Food Babe – real food
- 015 with Andrea Owen – surviving and thriving
- 023 with Dr. Jillian Teta – detoxing naturally
- 025 with Dr. Sara Solomon – intermittent fasting
- 027 with Sam Bearfoot, Digestion Detective – digestion
- 037 with Gretchen Rubin – how to build habits that work
- 038B What is Sexy?
- 043 with Dr. V – preventing and beating cancer
- 045 Surviving a Slump
- 052 with Mark Schatzker – food additives, fake foods
- 055 with Magdalena Wszelaki – Pt I – hormones, candida
- Gigi is on a mission to bring Naturopathic providers to US Military Veterans. You can show support for Veterans and urge your Representative to sign a letter that will go the Secretary of the Department of Veterans Affairs, encouraging the VA to increase veterans’ access to naturopathic physicians.
- See the letter here and read this great article from Huffington Post if you want to learn more
- Join the Veterans Right to Naturopathic Medicine community here
- Join the SCNM-Student Veterans of America Facebook Page to continue the discussion
- Follow Gigi’s amazing journey, in her own words, of “liberating forgiveness, self-discovery, unconditional love, freedom and naturopathic medicine” in her Wellness Warrior blog
And For Next Time…
Send me your questions for my next Q&A episode. You can connect with me here, or leave a voicemail. For real! Just click on that button over there on the right – the one that says -> RECORD A MESSAGE.
Happy New Year! Make it your BEST yet.