Tis the season…for the crud.
I don’t know if it’s the change of season, the time change or the flight I was on last week, but man, did I catch a nasty bug. And, I know nobody likes being sick (right?), but I Really. Hate. Being. Sick.
My plan – if I catch something ugly – is to SHUT IT DOWN asap. I set my mind to not being sick, and I do tend to recover really quickly. Here’s how…
1. The Neti Pot
Does the idea of flushing your sinuses with warm salt water gross you out? Try to keep an open mind, because this form of nasal irrigation was established many centuries ago as an ayurvedic tradition of ancient India. A billion congested people cannot be wrong!
Nasal flushing with a neti pot cleanses and purifies the sinuses with gentle warm saline or himalayn salts. It’s not the most fun you’ll have all day, but it is by no means difficult or traumatic and …IT WORKS. The salt acts as an antimicrobial agent and helps kill that sinus infection (and gets you breathing again out of your poor little nose).
2. Facial Massage
OK, this is instant relief and its 100% FREE, so pay attention. Just watch this and do as she does. I promise, you will feel instant results. You can even do this when you’re not particularly congested, and the lymphatic drainage still feels kind of subtley pleasant.
In fact, Mind Body Green says we shouldn’t wait til we’re feeling poorly, but that we should incorporate facial massage into our daily lives for glowing skin…
“Through facial massage, tension around the jaw is released and tightness in the scalp loosens. Circulation increases, firming the facial tissue by stimulating muscles, aiding in lymph flow and allowing for deeper penetration of topical creams and serums. Consider also that your face has hundreds of pressure points, with each one corresponding to a specific part of the body. By gently massaging your face, your gain the ability to treat ailments as far away as your toes while bringing your body into balance.” [source: mindbodygreen.com]
3. Far Infared Sauna
So this is a little less accessible than the first two tools, but so powerful. And, I am a recent convert, so I want to PREACH. But first….
What is Far Infared Sauna?
- Infrared rays are one of the sun’s rays. Infrared rays are the healthiest – they penetrate into your skin deeply and they dissolve harmful substances accumulated in your body. Far infrared heat provides all the healthy benefits of natural sunlight without any of the dangerous effects of solar radiation. The infrared rays vitalize your cells and metabolism.
- For years, the healthcare industry recommended infrared heat lamps as a source of far infrared heat but the lamps were cumbersome, extremely hot and difficult to maintain at a constant temperature. Today, many healthcare professionals use far infrared saunas of varying types to treat a variety of diseases throughout the world.
- The far infrared rays help many people feel energetically rejuvenated and balanced. It is also believed that far infrared waves help improve blood circulation and recovery from fatigue. [source: Clear Light Saunas]
My former guest Ben Greenfield shares many benefits of the infrared sauna in this Huffington Post article. And, while I haven’t bought one yet (still trying to figure out where to put it!), I did do a simple web search to find one in my local area. I found a natural health clinic that let me buy a pack of sessions, and now I have a session in a clearlight sauna whenever I need to. Honestly, I hadn’t made the time until “The Plague” set in, and because I’ve read extensively about how these things work and how beneficial they are, I ran myself over there as quickly as possible (ok, dragged).
Still, I was pretty surprised at the immediate effect. I sat in the little single-person sauna for 30 minutes and when I came out, I could breathe again, my head felt clearer and I generally just felt so much better all over. Now, I was definitely still sick, but I committed to going 3 times in a few short days and got better before the 3rd visit. Hitting the sauna turned an “about-to-be-non-functioning-day” into a full working day for me. The whole discovery process here has been awesome and now I want one in my house!
Other Major Healing Factors:
There are a million things you can do, herbs you can take, natural remedies to explore to help get better faster and more naturally than downing some purple syrup from the drug store (no thanks). But, in addition to feeling better with the above, here are the other main things that I do and highly recommend to get better FAST:
4. Eat lightly or in “condensed eating window”
The process of digestion is really resource-consumptive for your body. When it’s got something else to deal with (like an infection), it’s a good idea to let it spend its energy on healing. Now, I’m not a light eater, and even when I’m feeling poorly, I usually still have an appetite. (If I don’t, I don’t eat. If I do, I do.) But if I’m eating, I’ll make sure to condense my eating window to only 6 or 8 hours (you might call this intermittent fasting) in order to let my body have a full 16 to 18 hours “off” (it’s less than that because of the digestion process itself, but you get the idea). I’m by NO means the only person to offer this as a tip, and I will spend a lot more time here soon in a future podcast episode.
5. Drink Hot water + squeezed lemon + ginger– tried and true.
Those are just a few of my tips that are beyond the usual that you might see. I hope at least one can help you (or help you help someone else), so share away.
Stay well, and send me your favorite natural remedies.
I would love to hear yours!
Did you know that there are two 100% FREE ways to support the show?
1) Leave a Rating & Review in iTunes – this increases the rankings, so more people see the show
2) Shop Amazon normally, but enter through this link: http://onairwithella.com/store/. You can read this important detail to find out how this supports the show at no cost to you. If you bookmark that link, that makes it super easy. Of course, if you’d like my custom recommendations, shop the Amazon store that I created just for you.