On Confidence, Using Fear and Kicking Ass. You need to listen to this one. Twice.
Andrea Owen is a Certified Life Coach and author of 52 Ways to Live a Kick-Ass Life: BS-Free Wisdom to Ignite Your Inner Badass and Live the Life You Deserve. She is also the creator of the Your Kick Ass Life blog and podcast.
In her own words:
For years I lived my life according to what (or whom) I thought could make me happy. Perfectionism, the need for control, and people pleasing ruled my life. And it wasn’t working out. The day I started living my life authentically, standing up for myself, speaking out about what I believed in without looking over my shoulder at who was talking about me and what they thought of me, was the day my life truly began and had immense meaning.
Today I make no apologies for who I am. I write about and talk about my own struggles with disordered eating, relationships, alcohol and all the other messy things that happen in real life.
What we talk about in this show:
- What drove Andrea to change/improve in the face of challenges that can and do shut many people down?
- What is Andrea’s mission and purpose now?
- Managing our inner critic
- Control, isolation and perfectionism
- “Being Fearless is BS.”
- What is real courage and how to you get it?
- “The way to gain confidence is by practicing courage” (read Andrea’s post about that here)
- Social media and the comparison trap
Resources we mention in the show:
- Her mentor, Brené Brown
- The amazing writer Glennon Doyle Melton
- Note from Ella: If you haven’t read Glennon’s amazing book, PLEASE DO:
- You can read the story of when Andrea decided to change her life, here. Part two of that story is here.
- Andrea’s “ONE HABIT” to try this week: listen to this show again. Take notes. Pay attention to your own triggers. Awareness first.
- Andrea’s “ONE RESOURCE” that she recommends to us: The Headspace App
- Just like George Bryant suggested in his recent interview! Is the universe trying to tell me something?
- Get Andrea’s book for immediate kick-assery:
- BONUS for the Ladies! Join Andrea plus dozens of women just like you to learn courage, self-compassion, and confidence. Registration is open now for a limited time: http://30dayexperience.com