107: Superfoods that will Surprise You – Kristi Acuna
The health trends we shouldn’t be following…
I haven’t talked nutrition in awhile, mostly because I think we make food too complicated as it is, and I really like to keep it simple: Start with real food, figure out which foods work for you, eliminate those that don’t. But Krista Acuna is here with some information that’s working for her patients, and that I found surprising and surprisingly helpful. Listen to her debunk some of the most common health trends in favor of some surprising “superfoods.”
What We Talk About
- Lard. That is all.
- How raw dairy got a bad rap
- Why bacon is a-ok and what to look for when buying it
- Why kombucha might be overrated (aack!!)
- Raw kale isn’t your friend?
- Why fish protein isn’t enough
- How to reintroduce meats into your diet (this is me)
- When not to drink water
- What supplements help stoke the digestive fire: Betaine HCL and digestive enzymes
- Muscle testing – I was so intrigued by this part of our conversation that I’m already planning a follow up show on this topic – stay tuned!
- Kristi is all about the pasture-raised, humane farming conditions for healthy animal proteins. Pick a documentary from this list and have your eyes opened to what’s happening with the alternative (industrial farming): “10 best food and health documentaries” (PS – I think Food Inc. is one of the best)
- Kristi has a 10-video series on You Tube covering the food we talk about in detail. You can start with video #1 here:
- If you want more info on candida or kombucha, catch these episodes:
Holistic Nutrition gave Kristi back her life. Fueled by her gratitude for Holistic Nutrition plus her desire to giver others the gift of life and good health she has experienced, Kristi earned her Bachelor of Science degree in Holistic Nutrition from Clayton College of Natural Health.. She’s been practicing Holistic Nutrition for over 12 years in Newport Beach, CA. Learn more at HNCnewport.com.