I learned so much in this one.
Dr. Tom Nixon is back. If you missed his first episode, you can check it out here. This time, I asked him to come on the show to share some new insights on how we can slow the aging process, maintain bone density and stand tall! 🙂
What We Talk About:
- What are osteoporosis, osteopenia and what are the true causes? (hint: It’s not old age!)
- Menopause, hormones and the estrogen connection to bone density
- The Calcium Myth
- The dangers of calcium supplements
- Avoid “calcium carbonate”
- The link between calcium supplementation and bone fractures, arterial sclerosis and strokes
- If you opt for supplements, look for “calcium citrate” and a hybrid of Vitamin D3
- You can get plenty of calcium through food!
- Food sources of calcium: chia seeds, sesame seeds, almonds, leafy greens and my fave tahini. Click on the image to see more…
- Vitamin D3 sources: sunlight and supplements (note: Vitamin D2 is NOT the same thing!)
- “Test Don’t Guess” – getting a D3 blood test is easy – aim for the 70-90 range in D3 levels for optimal health
- Vitamin K sources: click to see this list of foods rich in Vitamin K (and click on the image below to see even more):
- Foods that harm bone density: sugar, all sodas (they leach phorphorus out of your bones!) and bread
- The fat soluble vitamins are Vitamins A, D, E, K – for best absorption, consume these with dietary fats like coconut oil or a fish oil supplement
- We talk about probiotics, too. Dr. Tom prefers to get his from food – he opts for sauerkraut, and I love kimchi and kombucha 😉
- Dr. Tom’s Vitamin D can be purchased within the US and Canada right here, and here’s a solid source for global shipping
- Dr. Josh Axe’s probiotics and this comprehensive write up on natural and supplemental sources of probiotics (great read!)
- Check out this study for the link between Calcium/Vit D3 supplements and arterial calcification
- Curcumin – I can’t say it, but I take it 😉 Here’s Dr. Nixon’s brand, called “Daily Defense,” and if you need it to shop globally, try the one that Dr. Vita Labs recommend on its site:
- Bone broth – best when made at home or sourced from a local farm, but if you buy it off the shelf, try this brand
- Want more info on the supplement world? Give this previous episode another listen! Gary Collins Exposes the Supplement Fakes, Episode 051
About Dr Tom
Dr. Tom Nixon is part of a movement to help transform the health of people through his 5 key essentials: an empowered mindset, corrective chiropractic care, quality nutrition, exercise, and minimized toxicity.
Dr. Tom is dedicated to transforming the health of families in his community through his practice Twin City Health & Maximized Living. Maximized Living is most well-known for being the official chiropractic and performance team for Olympic Governing Bodies and their athletes to achieve optimal performance. Find a Maximized Living Doctor in the US here.
Have questions for Dr. Tom or Ella after hearing us chat? Leave your questions below – and don’t forget to subscribe to the show in iTunes or wherever you consume podcasts so that you automatically get new episodes!