059 Kombucha 101 with The Kombucha Mamma, Hannah Crum
photo cred: greenplatekate.com
All About Kombucha
Kombucha is fermented tea with loads of healthy qualities
Kombucha tea is considered by many to be a superfood, an elixir that’s been consumed for thousands of years and is experiencing a resurgence now as it becomes more and more commercially available. Some of the healthy qualities it possesses:
- Contains living bacteria and yeast – this is a good thing 🙂
- Makes a great replacement for sugary sodas or coffee
- Acts as a snack or pre-meal hunger control
- Alkalizes like vinegar or lemon juice – balances internal pH
- Compounds in the drink may bond to and help excrete toxins from the liver – happy liver = happy mood
- May speed metabolism
- The acids present improve digestion or alleviate constipation
- Relieve headaches & migraines
- Antioxidants & polyphenols from the tea are partially fermented and so more bioavailable
- Kills h.pylori on contact
- Certain acids present are considered candida-cides
Which is good, because I’m kind of addicted
What We Talk About:
- What is kombucha anyway??
- Is kombucha harmful if you’re suffering from Candida?
- Why some people bloat up after having kombucha
- How hard is it to make at home?
- Why home brew beats store-bought
- What are some of the reasons we might incorporate kombucha into our diet?
- Hannah’s “ONE HABIT” to try for a week: Pick up some kombucha at the store – try a few flavors
- Hannah’s RESOURCE that she recommends: the Food Renegade blog
- Hannah’s best posts on:
- Get the book! The Big Book of Kombucha: Brewing, Flavoring, and Enjoying the Health Benefits of Fermented Tea available for presale on Amazon
Let me know if you try it! Love it? Hate it?
Did you know that there are two 100% FREE ways to support the show?
1) Leave a Rating & Review in iTunes – this increases the rankings, so more people see the show
2) Shop Amazon, but enter through this link: http://onairwithella.com/store/. You can read this important detail to find out how this supports the show at no cost to you. If you bookmark that link, that makes it super easy. Of course, if you’d like my custom recommendations, shop the Amazon store that I created just for you.