039 The 5 AM Miracle with Jeff Sanders
How to start your day like a champion
If you’ve heard my interview with Gretchen Rubin, then you know that I am working on the habit of getting up earlier than I “have to,” and creating a morning routine for myself. In my quest for tips and strategies for someone who is NOT particularly interested in a 5 am wake up call (me!), I somehow landed on Jeff Sanders, Mr. 5 AM Miracle himself.
Jeff introduced me to some super simple ways of beginning a morning routine that sticks, and now I am sharing his ideas with you.
Questions I ask Jeff in this episode:
- What are some patterns you see amongst high achievers and successful people?
- How are they spending the first part of their day?
- Do you have to get up at 5am? Really? (hint: no)
- Does Jeff trade sleeping hours for his early morning routine?
- How do you reset or reboot after getting out of your routine?
- What is Jeff’s morning routine? What habits does he do every day and why?
- The “Calm” app for guided meditation
- Jeff also has tried Buddha Mind
- Personally, I have been using the Headspace app since I recorded this episode and I really like it!
- Try the Nozbe task manager for creating effective To Do lists, and to keep track of what you’re morning routine might entail
Jeff’s “ONE HABIT” to try for a week: At night, write down what tomorrow morning will look like for you.
Jeff’s “ONE RESOURCE” that he recommends to us: fill a reusable bottle at night for drinking first thing in the morning. He uses the NALGENE BPA-Free Water Bottle, but I love the double-walled Hydroflask because it’s not plastic and it keeps coffee hot for hours and ice water cold for the entire day. (Seriously, at the end of the day, there’s still ice in it.) Get yours from Amazon: